The Cost of Caring (Saskatoon)
Learn how to prevent and address compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma, and burnout.
1. The Psychological Hazards of Helping Professions
- Understanding and identifying compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma, and burnout as occupational hazards within front line practice.
- Self-assessment of compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma, and burnout for each individual.
3. The Empathy Spectrum
- The cost of not caring: Exploring the alternative (practice without empathy, compassion, etc.).
- How “too much” empathy can be harmful.
- How boundaried empathy protects us.
4. Practical Strategies
- Professional grieving
- Mindfulness-based practice
- Self-reflexive practice
- Structured and informal debriefing
- Setting professional boundaries
- Value-based work
Please email email@example.com for assistance with group registrations, or if you wish to use an alternative payment method.
NOTE: This course involves a significant amount of group work. If you are apprehensive about the idea of group work due to social anxiety or any other concern, please notify us. We would be happy to accommodate you as best we can.